Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Battle Royal Loading Silkie into Car for Vet Visit


This morning is one of those things you can laugh about afterwards. Getting that pudgy girl into the carrier and into the car was a real challenge. I'd already left the crate out in various areas for a few days. Then, this morning, I was ready. At 9 (appointment was 10), I noticed she was in a spot easy for grabbing. I waited until the A/C went on and figured the noise would cover the sound of my unlatching the crate door. NOT!

She bolted into another room, under a table and behind some boxes, totally out of my reach. I resorted to trickery. I rolled the hand sweeper, the ever handy Bissel, which she loves to stalk. She didn't budge. Stronger trickery. I brought out the "RED DOT." That did bring her forward. I grabbed and plunged her butt-end down into the crate. I doubt she'll ever trust that Red Dot again.

Huffing and puffing (both of us), I grabbed my purse, and quickly carried her portly self to the back door. Apparently I didn't latch her crate door well enough, because at the open back door, she pushed it open and bolted outside and down the back stairs to the driveway, down to the front lot, and across.

Knowing she was headed to the front porch, I dashed back inside, opened the front door, and grabbed her again. By now, we were both really cardio-pumped. It is hard for me to carry that heavy load down the back steps without banging it against the house, but I managed to not terrify her any more than she already was. I loaded her into the car, went back and locked up, and away we went.

Fortunately, at this vet's, they allow staff to come get the pet; that was a treat for me. Silkie and I were still huffing and puffing.

A friend and I were talking this afternoon. She totally agreed when I said that Tough Love is harder on the giver than on the receiver, whether the receiver is human or otherwise.

No comments: