Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Triple Whammy Day - But Not My Worst!


As I posted earlier online, this was not my best day but it certainly was not my worst. Had a triple whammy but more of the inconvenience type rather than of the real trouble type.

The first issue was that my car battery died. It was fine yesterday but this morning when I got ready to drive over for my six-month after-breast-surgery mammogram and ultrasound, it was dead. I rapidly went through the logical sequence. First, was it really dead? Yep. Ok. How to get to the testing center? Tried a neighbor who is usually up as early as I am. It was only 7:15am and I had to be there by 8:15. I wasted almost 20 minutes trying first her home phone, then her cell, waiting 5 minutes between each voice mail. Nothing. Then I figure I’d better call the car dealer and verify what I thought was the trouble. We were in agreement. Next I found out that other options, even if I could afford them, were not right for “rush hour” and the day before a major holiday in a tourist town. Everyone was backed up - cabs, etc., even the tow guy.

Raced in and out of the house making these calls, including the breast care center. Finally got the tow guy, who gave the car a jump, and I got to my guy for a battery. I was done and home by 10:30am. It could have been worse. It could have happened anywhere else, but here I was in the shade of my own driveway (we’re in the triple digits out here).

The second thing that was troubling was that for the first time in my life, I missed a medical appointment. They do NOT like that. I called the breast care center and left a voice mail that I could not get there. They open at 7 so I knew they were there; they just weren’t picking up. I called again in the afternoon. Same story. Voice mail. I surely do hope that this does not cause a problem getting another appointment, that they are not upset thinking I was a careless no-show. Some places even charge fees if you do not cancel at least 24 hours in advance.

And the third thing, again, troubling but not horrible. My mouth is tender and somewhat sore from the new dentures. I expected that. I have an adjustment appointment next week and will baby it until then. But the thing is, all of those phone calls were under stress and pressure and I was doing a lot of talking and explaining - a lot. It didn’t help with them moving at will while I was trying to speak clearly and yet not feel the soreness. But, it was not impossible.

So, all in all, I ended the day with a fresh battery to begin the serious part of the summer out here, and that is a good thing. And it is quiet for now, and I am happily tired, and ready for sleep. Tomorrow’s another day.

Rolling along...

No comments: