Wednesday, July 18, 2018

I Think I Annoyed my Oncologist Today


Ok the visit to the oncologist went so-so today. I think I annoyed her or ticked her off. I took myself off the hormone blocker on June 14 because of all the side effects. They were causing me to go backwards on all my good habits, developed over the past 4 years.

I was too tired to do food prep while I was taking them (between Feb and June) and began buying convenience foods and take out. Instead of 20 minutes energizing catnaps, I’d wake up 2 hours after the fact! Circulation was rotten and my right hand was so numb from just driving a mile to a store that I couldn’t pick anything up with it.  I was dewy all the time. And these are just some of the effects.

After stopping them, all returned to normal.

She is trying to talk me into trying 3 others, one at a time. I do not have the desire to deal with fresh side effects. I asked her to print out my genetic-cancer results and tell me, in terms of “years,” exactly what I am facing.

Turns out that with the meds, the likelihood of recurrence is 7%; without, it only jumps to 14% - that refers to the next 10 years. Hey, kids, I’ll be 79 in September and 80 next year. 10 years? I won’t be here in 10 years - I’d much rather get mammo’s and ultrasounds twice a year and check things that way.

Anyhow, I will see her again in 4 months. I’m not being stubborn, but I do want to weigh quality of my elder-years of life against those side effects... will be praying about this...

Rolling along...

No comments: