Monday, February 12, 2018

Lenten Season - My Chocolate Fast Looms

Where does the time go? It doesn’t seem like a whole year since the last Lenten season.

Most of you already know that every Lent I give up my beloved chocolate habit. Until two years ago, I allowed myself one mini-York patty at night before I went to bed. Then, two years ago, I said “no chocolate means no chocolate.” As much as I love it, I seem to be able to do 40 days and nights without it. So far.

But this year it’s going to be harder. See, this year, Lent begins earlier. Ash Wednesday comes the day after Valentine’s Day. Hey, that’s the day I usually head to the stores for their chocolate/Valentine-candy clearance deals. Of course, I can still take advantage of those but I would make sure I put the stuff away until Easter.

As for it starting early this year, I was curious so I checked on the dates. The earliest it can begin is February 2, and the latest is March 10.

I know it’s out of fashion to fast or give something up for Lent. But there’s something so satisfying to be able to accomplish that. It shows me, every year, that I really can do this.

Father in Heaven, accept this little gift of self-denial from me, please? Once again, I will give up my beloved chocolate. It is such a small effort compared to what your Son did in the desert and mountains all those years ago. 

1 comment:

MY MUSINGS said...

He always accepts our sacrifices out of love for Him!! Hugs~