Sunday, February 11, 2018

I Can’t Trust Myself These Days

I thoroughly enjoy a meal “out” but I can’t trust myself at a buffet these days.

A friend gifted me with a Golden Corral card over the holidays. I was thrilled. I normally cannot afford a buffet although a McD’s or Burger King, etc., can be done occasionally when I’m on errands and making lots of stops in one session and I need “fortification.”

That said, I cannot trust myself at a buffet. I’ve changed my food patterns so drastically compared to five years ago that I completely let down my guard at a buffet.

I used this card in two trips. About a month ago, I went there around 2 p.m. for their special Senior priced lunch. This morning I went for breakfast and was there when they opened at 7:30 a.m.

I found, both times, that I now make all the wrong choices. I see food I haven’t bothered with for the past few years and it looks great, it looks scrumptious, it beckons to me, lures me. And I shuffle out of there stuffed and uncomfortable and not at all happy with what I just ate.

The food was great - don’t get me wrong. But it’s no longer “my” food. At home, I only bring in, or keep, my current healthier choices but choices I thoroughly enjoy.

I shouldn’t tell you all what I had this morning but then, maybe it will make you laugh, or cry, or get nauseous, or lecture me. Hey, it’s only once a month I did this.

Ok - I only made two trips to the line. One for was for basic food, the other for dessert. I had two cups of coffee. On my first plate (I still can’t believe I did this), I had small portions (which still added up and stuffed me) of hash brown, scrambled eggs, a berry topped blintz (very small piece), corned beef hash, a strip of bacon, and something that might have been quiche. I left most of the corned beef hash. It was good, really good, for that dish, but I forgot how low I go on salt these days. Now, the next trip still makes me cringe when I think about it. I grabbed a nice serving of chocolate mousse topped with whipped cream, a brownie square and a fudge square - all chocolate. I managed to push that down with the second cup of coffee.

So you see, I cannot ever be trusted at a buffet again. I can go to restaurants and enjoy them because I pick a meal from the menu, one that works for me these days and which I like. I cannot go back to the foods I used to eat -

I’ll post this and then try to simmer my stuffed tummy down...

2 comments:

MY MUSINGS said...

The only comfort I can offer is that we all tend to do this at times. My husband eats differently than I want to eat, yet I give in to eating some of the foods he enjoys simply because it is there. Argh~

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Yep...you made me laugh. That was a lot of food and when your tummy is only used to what you feed it, then go to a buffet and your eyes become bigger then your tummy....yep it is a delema!! Las Vagas is known for those great buffets. When I visited my mother many years ago, we went to Ceaser's Palace for their buffet, oh my gosh it was humongus....tables and tables of every kind of food you could think of. I remember seeing a woman go to the shrimp table several different times. Pops said she was stuffing her purse with the extra shrimp....unbelievable!! I don't go to buffets anymore. I am like you, everything looks so good and I only take a little bit of each thing but it seems my plate is not big enough. Although I do go to a buffet at Festival Foods and usually get enough food for both JP and I, it usually weighs out at 12 -15 dollars. Which is what we would probably spend if we went out. Guess it all works out in the end. I cook all meals at home. Jp does not like to eat out, he is afraid people can smell him (???) He is bipolar so he's a little bit paranoid.