Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Update After Lumpectomy, Lymph Biopsy Yesterday

Ok, I planned to post a little later today but I am already getting calls, texts and emails, and I do not have time or energy for individual replies. I love you all for caring, but my head is spinning, but happily so.

Surgery went well. We left at 7:15 am and got home just around 5 pm. Arrival was 8:30, then lots of time on paperwork, prep, and a nuclear dye injection after which they had to wait for it to “take.” Surgery happened around 12:15 and I was sitting up normal in Recovery by 2, but they wouldn’t let me leave until vitals reached a certain level.

Worst part of the whole thing was finding a vein for the IV - apparently when I had those 24 straight weeks of IV chemo’s back 1999, my veins blew and have not really recovered. They can draw blood easily but they cannot easily insert an IV. Took 3 stabs, 3 different technicians. BUT happily, they did not “probe.” We all know that pain!

Soreness much less than expected; flexibility better than expected. Wasn’t supposed to drive for 24 hours but my friend who had hers in April drove her family back to the airport the next day, so I took a much smaller drive this morning (2 miles round trip) and dropped off a pain Rx then went back later to get it. Don’t really need it but in case I accidentally push or pull too hard or twist the wrong way, should have it around.

Why my head is spinning is because, first, I just had that surgery yesterday, second, did not figure to run over for the Rx, and third, they just called and found an earlier date for my basal cell cancer surgery originally scheduled for January 4 - they just replaced that date with THIS Thursday, day after tomorrow! So 2 surgeries this week - record for me...

Called for the free ride immediately because that one is too far and awkward to find. After I hung up from that, I finally printed 3 full month-on-a-page calendar sheets with BIG blocks, marked Medical at the bottom edge, and clipped on top of my Bills clipboard. When I began filling appointments in, I realized I needed to now cancel the ride for the 4th of January, so back on the phone. I still need to also book them for the Dec 22 lumpectomy follow-up with the surgeon.

BUT by Christmas, all the surgeries will be done, and next year will merely be awash in checkups, follow-ups, and other ups and downs...cool.

Now, it is almost 1 pm and I am tired. Time to flop for a half hour or so on the lift chair...

No comments: