Wednesday, November 15, 2017

It is Breast Cancer, But Please Don’t Be Alarmed

Ok. This morning they did the regular "breast exam" by physical touch, followed by a mammogram with a zillion positions, followed by an ultrasound. We rather expected the lump on the left breast to be a simple calcification but it apparently IS cancer.

Do not be alarmed for me, my friends. This is a good thing simply because it was caught so very early. I only discovered the lump around 10/15 - within a few days, I happened to be at the dermatologist for a basal cell cancer on my back shoulder (that's still in the works) and he checked it superficially and thought it was calcification and strongly suggested I check with my primary care guy. My PC squeezed me in on a fast appointment the following week and he, too, felt it was just calcification but he, too, strongly suggested the mammogram.

Bottom line - it is quite small, it is toward the surface which means I found it so much sooner than if it had been deep inside, hidden, so treatment will be fairly minimal. 

Monday I go for a needle biopsy, just to verify that it is cancer so they can get the insurance to approve the next move. About a week after the biopsy, I see the surgeon who will decide whether we should do a cut and/or radiation. Another good thing is that it is the left side which is not my dominant side so it will not affect my driving or crocheting or stapling newsletters or even newsletter delivery. 

Looks like this winter will be round after round of inconvenient doctor visits - Dec. 5 is when I see the surgeon to schedule the excision of the basal cell cancer on my shoulder blade area - but again, these are not the worst of things

All in all, this could have been SO much worse - so I am rejoicing over how minimal it is compared to what it could have been. It would be nice if you could each keep me in your prayers, though. It won't be horribly painful but there will be mild pain and discomfort...

No comments: