Sunday, October 8, 2017

Made That Canned Salmon Patty Recipe

I did manage to try that salmon patty recipe made with canned salmon.

I used 2 cans, doubled the recipe. I’d suggest you try one, first, to adjust the recipe to make sure it holds together during cooking. I do not add flour, so I mixed the few ingredients in the bowl, then I added 1/4 cup whole grain oatmeal flakes, twice (total 1/2 cup), and it seemed okay.

However, it got a little wetter as it cooked but it did hold together so long as I was careful with it.

The recipe says 2 oz. per patty when shaping - that was a pain for me to figure, so I just took a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scooped the mixture, packed it into that little measuring cup and flattened the top, then turned it upside down and tapped it loose onto my palm. I made all the patties first, putting them on a paper plate. Cooks up quickly. 

With 2 cans salmon, and that additional 1/2 cup oatmeal, I ended up with 9 nice patties. I ate one right away, just to test it. Froze some, kept some down for one a day this week.

Now, the taste with canned won’t be as great as with fresh, but making the patties did cut down on that tinny taste that canned salmon often has.

For yourself, you might try either some flour to thicken, or ground chips or crackers, or even some cornmeal...

This will be one I use often, but might try changing the “filler” each time for texture and to find a combo that I not only like, but that I love.

No comments: