Saturday, October 7, 2017

The Foodie: My Prep Plans for Today

Next weekend, I’ll be busy outside all day for 2-1/2 days so I’m trying to do as much in advance as I can. Then I can just grab things when I become ravenous from the fresh air and physical activity.

Cheese
I just worked on a pound of cheese a neighbor gave me from his visit to relatives in Mexico. I’m not sure what it is but I’ve had it from him before. It’s mild and has some tiny holes similar to Swiss cheese. I grated half of it, and I sliced the other half - I have the two tubs of cheese ready to use in various ways.

Apples
I rinsed the 6 pounds of apples from the food pantry a few weeks ago. When I post this, I will cut, core, dice and toss them into the crockpot. I’ll add cinnamon and maybe ginger and maybe a little bit of brown sugar. In about 4 or 5 hours, they will be tender and tasty and I’ll divide it into several peanut butter jars and freeze all but one. I add about a 1/2 cup to my morning cereals.

Salmon
I hope to also take 2 cans of salmon that were on sale at Walgreens and turn them into salmon patties. The recipe I found will make 4 per can. I’ll end up with 8 nice size patties. I’ll freeze all but one (to taste, of course). If the mixture is too wet, I’ll add whole grain oat flakes or crushed chips. I’ve never tried this one, but it’s the easiest I found. Can’t wait.

Bread Pudding
I don’t know if I’ll get to the bread pudding today, but I hope to do that, as well. It’s a recipe from a dear friend who moved half country away. It was always super good when she made it. I hope I do as well.

So, I’ll do these in various chunks of time. I can’t stand too long at one time, so I’ll space them out.

No comments: