Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Trying Not to Regret a Recent Decision


Most of us have times when we do something that we later find is coming back to bite us. And most of us have, at one time or another tried to help someone and ended up regretting that decision. Maybe what we did for someone turned out to be the wrong thing. Maybe that action had really bad consequences in our own lives. Or maybe we keep worrying about whether we should have done it at all.

Without going into details, I did something a month ago that I really should not have done in my own troubled circumstances. Still, my heart was in the right place at the time, even if my head should have told me to stop. I believed what I was told and had no reason not to. That doesn’t change the fact that it was done.

Whenever I am aware that I need to make a big decision, I usually take time to pray for the right choice. Sometimes, though, things happen so quickly our finite minds just move ahead without thinking. And sometimes it is just as simple as trusting someone to be true to their word.

So, since I cannot take back that action, I need to learn from it. And I need to live with it. And I need to recover from it.

Father, forgive me for not asking you for advice so many times in my life. I thought I was past that. I thought I was always on track in praying before taking action. Apparently I am still very human and make very human mistakes. Please guide me and help me through this, learning from it. And help me to turn the regret into something more useful, if that is possible.

No comments: