Thursday, July 20, 2017

Please Join Me in a Happy Dance!

I just received my copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Cat Really Did That? (on sale 8/8) with my story nestled in among 100 others. Here is a link to it so you can see what it’s about - I’m pretty sure every story in this particular volume is about rescue cats.

If you know me at all, or have followed me, you know that my background was a couple of decades as a bookkeeper/jr.-accountant, followed by a couple of decades as a free lance writer, ending with almost a decade of working for a government contractor. These past few years, I can no longer seek outside work. However, I did need to seek ways to supplement my lower-level income.

Crafts were fun, and my Etsy shop was great, but the income was meager at best when it came, compared with my needs.

About a year ago, quietly, I began once again exploring my real love: free lance writing. I kept silent for the most part. All last year, I worked and re-learned the field. You would not believe how much it has changed. It has been 23 years since I last sold something to a publisher. But I persisted. Last year, in the midst of broken pipes, water rationing, financial-challenges, I managed to submit 31 different articles. Then, this March, one of them SOLD!

I have been keeping quiet until I saw it in print because I know from experience over my earlier career that it’s not “done” until it’s in print or until you receive the check. Ok. It’s in print. I got some copies from Simon & Schuster today, and I truly am doing my Happy Dance.

Oh, it’s only one story among 101 others. But it means I can still do it. That’s one thing I was afraid of - that I had lost my touch, my skills, my ability. And it’s a flat fee, but that flat fee will pay off one bill’s balance when it arrives in September.

So, we’re off. And I am up to it. Time to sell some more, somewhere or other!

No comments: