Sunday, June 18, 2017

Boredom is Underrated

I was watching Silkie, my 6-year-old rescue cat, today. It’s Sunday, and I often use that day to treat her with some catnip. Knowing her catnip routine, I also expected her to be mostly sleepy, mostly hungry off and on all day.

During one of her sleepy stages (post-catnip, pre-food), she looked more bored than sleepy. It’s too hot for her to go outside. I began talking to her. She loves it when I have one-sided conversations with her.

We discussed how I, too, felt oddly bored today. Or so I thought. I’ve had a rather hectic, crazy series of things happening almost without stop since last October. The past two or three weeks, things have slowed down - a lot. I’ve felt guilty, in a way, when I’d catch myself enjoying a moment’s peace.

It also reminded me of something the Reverend Robert H. Schuller once said on T.V.  He and his wife were on a beach when he remarked that he was so tired. His wife looked at him and said something to the effect that it had been so long since they had done this that he wasn’t tired - he was relaxing. Apparently he had forgotten how to relax.

Even our Creator rested on the 7th day after all his work on creation.

So, aside from some light things I did today, Silkie and I just relaxed - we rested.

Sweet Lord Jesus, you, too, had moments when you retreated and rested. I pray I might not be so arrogant as to think I am better than you. I will rejoice in the moments of peace sent my way. I pray, also, that this blessing be bestowed on those I know and love - I pray that they, too, recognize and enjoy those moments of peace, no matter how brief they sometimes might be.

No comments: