Monday, May 8, 2017

Foodie Fun and Facts

Last night’s slow cooker project turned out pretty well. I tossed in a meaty ham bone, lots of black eyed peas, a can of Rotel, and lots of chopped green onion. Packed away 5 containers in the freezer, 2 servings per container.

Tonight, I just loaded it with 4 chicken quarters (4 legs, 4 thighs), and just dumped a bottle of barbecue sauce on top, added water to the sauce bottle, and tossed that in. Then I will have 8 servings of bbq chicken in the freezer.

I am very excited about my latest lab results. They show that the changes I’ve made are really working. That encourages me even more to stay on track.

I only made some basic changes in my food patterns. But apparently they are enough to work for me. I switched to brown from white (rice, breads, pasta, potatoes), added tuna & salmon a few times a week, replaced mayo or Miracle Whip with mashed avocado in tuna salad, egg salad and carrot/raisin salad, included beans several times a week, fresh fruits/veggies, yogurt daily. I keep one jar of peanut butter handy and I often just dip a teaspoon or tablespoon into the jar and enjoy that as a quick “candy-break.”

Now don’t go thinking I am a saint or martyr, my friends. I still give in to junk food. But not as often, and not as much at one sitting. But I surely do still have my times. I guess that’s why I was a bit worried about it

And in case you are curious about the results, here are the past few years, for the categories I watch most closely. Even then, I do not obsess over it. Life still must be fun, even if on just a small scale. And I’ve been a little more careful this past year. Apparently it has paid off.


2/7/15
10/1/15
3/22/16
5/1/17
Cholesterol
243
238
231
208
HDL
49
46
41
49
Triglycerides
237
225
262
155
Sugar
6.6
6.6
6.7 (117)
6.3 (102)


No comments: