Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Flu Shot, Open House Fun, and more…

It’s been a wild few weeks, lots of ups and downs. I had hoped things would simmer down after I finished the monthly newsletter, delivered it, and worked a craft fair on the 1st. Well, I ran into some glitches doing the newsletter and the craft fair didn’t materialize. But before the craft fair bit the dust, I had spent two days gathering “stuff” and getting folding-rolling carriers out from the shed to transport the totes I’d planned to use, among other things.

Now I need to put all that stuff back where it came from, and catch up on where I’d hoped I’d be at this point.

This morning, I went over to the Open House at our newly renovated/redecorated Clubhouse. There was no way I was going to miss out on the free coffee, bagels and donuts. I ended up with a glass of OJ (it just looked SO good) and a nice big moist muffin of some kind. There was a small but pleasant assortment of residents so I stayed almost an hour.

After the errands I needed to run this morning (P.O. to mail something, some groceries, etc.), I managed to finally remember to stop at a Walgreens for my flu shot. I had planned to do that last month, but kept forgetting and kept getting distracted. Now it’s done. The season is here, and it takes two weeks to take effect, but a tad late is better than nothing at all.

Thankfully, I managed to prep a pot of pea soup today. I tossed in a meaty ham bone and stuff, and it will slow-cook overnight. Can’t wait.

There are a lot of things on my do-it-by-the-end-of-the-year to-do list. I’ll make sure to pace myself and enjoy each thing I tick off as I get to it.

This year, I promised myself I would not go crazy. I promised myself I would do things at my own pace, one I could enjoy. For me, at this age, to-do lists are only effective if, when each task is done, I can enjoy saying those words: it is done. I do not want to sink down, exhausted and not even be able to appreciate that it was done.

Years ago, for a friend of mine, I coined a saying: Like the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady gets me there. It works for me!

No comments: