Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Next on My Crockpot List


Well, I'm doing another overnighter in my crockpot - tonight. 

I found a small piece of London Broil in the freezer. I tossed that in, a whole bunch of baby carrots fresh from a friend's garden, some frozen corn, peas and cut string beans, plus a diced onion. Looked around and tossed in a can of diced tomatoes and a little tomato puree. 

Found some chicken broth from the other night when I cooked that whole bird in the cooker, and tossed that in. Oh, and I found some steamed cauliflower in the fridge, so I tossed a few florets in there, too.

And because I wanted it a little thick, more like a stew than a soup, I tossed in a cup of uncooked barley. I keep the barley in a big jar in my fridge. I use it instead of flour to thicken. Nice velvety texture, great taste, and healthier than the flour.

Now I just wait and see what it's like in the morning...can't wait. It'll be a sort of beef barley veggie soup.

No comments: