Tuesday, November 22, 2016

"Built" Another Crockpot Meal

Ok - I turned on the crockpot at 5 this morning - I'll let it go 10 hours, and then maybe an hour more. I love how you can "build" a meal by just looking in nooks and crannies of your fridge, freezer, and pantry.

We started by dumping a can of Rotel on the bottom, then dumped 2-3 cups frozen pre-soaked great northern beans in next, then a can each of black beans and kidney beans. Next came a half cup brown sugar, cup of tomato puree, and 1 diced onion. 

I think I have another container or two of those great northerns in the freezer to use up later. When I come across a buy for dry beans (and they are not always cheap these days, believe it or not), I soak them overnight and freeze in recycled 2-lb yogurt containers.

Because the purpose of this pot was to use up the gifted pork ribs, they came next. I cut them apart with my kitchen shears and counted 9. I poured some Sweet Baby Ray sauce on top.

Then, because I had 9 ribs and wanted limited meat per serving, I realized I didn't have quite enough bulk to put at least a cup of the beans with each rib, so I added water to what I thought would work.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

No comments: