I planned to add them to our charity crafting donation stash. We each keep it separate from our personal stash of yarn.
Something made me check it out. Turns out is must be wool because every so many yards, it's like a critter ("moth" obviously) nibbled the yarn. I decided to use it right away.
This was a real challenge. I knew I'd need to cut and re-join many times with each ball. At first I tried the Russian Join (link here) but even that was too much trouble because the stretches of good yarn were not very long. I ended up simply knotting the two ends together and crocheting over them.
I had decided to work it into our favorite fingerless glovespattern. I was able to make 4 pairs - small, medium, large, extra large. It is a little lumpy in some places. It would not work for a gift or for my Etsy shop, but it will work very well for cold hands in our desert cold this winter.
The gloves are sturdy, and the wool makes them very warm for that particular type of recipient.
I'll toss them into a bag with a cedar ball until we give out the first batch of things to the homeless, probably sometime next month.
I'm so glad I followed my instincts on this.