Monday, July 18, 2016

Why I Will Pray Sincerely About The Upcoming Election

At 76, I lived through 3 presidents before I was allowed to cast my own vote - my first Presidential vote, in Philly, was cast in the one John F. Kennedy won. Prior to that, I did vote in local elections.

From age 18 forward, I took every election seriously, even the smallest of offices. My Dad always told we three kids: If you don't know who to vote for, try this - if you like how things are going, vote for the current group; if not, vote for the opposite side. I did, however, try to at least read the blurbs that summarized each candidate and each issue as much and as often as possible.

In all those years, almost 60 voting years for me, our country faced many, many issues and often seemingly impossible threats.

This year, I'm even more concerned than ever.

So, I will be praying even harder than ever for guidance regarding my voting choice. 

Yes, I have decided who will get my vote. 

No, I am not against changing my mind. 

The mind is a wondrous thing. It can harbor a decision, an opinion, an assumption. And it can, on a moment's notice, hearing just a few choice words, completely reverse that opinion or decision. There's nothing wrong with that.

But I do need to follow the Father's will as carefully as I see it. And I will pray that others pray about their decisions, as well.

I'm not so set in my ways that I am against hearing one fact that can completely alter my view. Because of this, I always pay close attention to what each side is saying, not just the side I currently favor.

Father in heaven, your son explained to us, and taught us, that we must render to Caesar that which is Caesar's. I take this to mean our loyalty and respect for our leaders as well. However, every voter in our country this year needs your guidance, big time. I pray for that guidance, not just for myself, but for every American of voting age. Let us hear, in our hearts and souls, your choice in this most important election. To paraphrase some old song lyrics, if we ever needed you before, we need you now.

No comments: