Saturday, January 9, 2016

Kicked Back with VCR Today



Most of you know that I went off contract TV back in October of 2014. At that time, I had 2 clunky old TVs but they had built-in VCRs that would at least play tapes. 

I had, and still have, a zillion VHS tapes, many home-recorded. I played and played those tapes for over a year and finally, just before Christmas, the one set went blooey and gave me a messy situation and would not play a decent tape.

I managed to find a few places that still sell VCR head cleaners. I ordered one from Walmart, online, the dry-type, and got it last week. It is good for 100 uses, and suggests doing it every 20-30 hours. There's no way I'm going to track those hours, so I used it and, and figure to do it the first week of each month. 

Late in the week, I happily recorded both NCIS and NCIS New Orleans and watched them the next day. I also browsed my stash of tapes again and found a few that I wanted to watch sooner than later.

This afternoon, I got involved in home-taped versions of The Revenge of Al Capone (with Ray Sharkey) and The Hustler (in B&W) with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason. I forgot how long The Hustler was but there was no way I was going to stop it and finish it another day. It is 134 minutes long. For the math-challenged among you, that's 2 hours and 14 minutes, plus additional time for commercials since this was home-recorded.

Thankfully, when I do something like this, I can crochet at the same time, for the local needy, and sort of pay for my guilty-pleasure.

Some days, this old bod just asks me to give in and let it enjoy itself - this was one of those days,  - and I did just that.

I hope each of you had at least some pleasure today, as well.

No comments: