Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Liquid Reese's and Smashed Sweets



It's time to catch up on some odds and ends I'd planned to share. Tonight, I'll deal with some food tips.

There was a tip, a "food hack," that I found online and I pinned it so I wouldn't lose it or forget it. Tonight I tried it. 

I use approximately one small jar (16 oz) of creamy peanut butter a week. Every other morning, I make hot oatmeal and I put a big glob of PB in that and stir it - yummy. The day I do not do that, I use about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup some other way. I've even spread it on a warm corn tortilla and sprinkled either dried raisins or dried cranberries on top, and eaten that as a treat/snack, like a soft taco. 

This means I need to deal with the leftover PB residue in the jars. I really, really hate to waste it. I scoop as much as I can, carefully scraping the inside sides of the jar with a long iced tea spoon. Then I saw a tip online that told me how to wash them easily. I just put a drop of dish liquid, or a splash of dishwater, in the jar, add warm or hot water to within about 1/2 to an inch, cap it, shake, and let it soak its own self - after a while, I shake again. Eventually, later in the day, the jar is almost clean and the rest is easily rubbed out with a dishcloth.

The tip I just tried, though, said to take that jar with the PB residue and add hot chocolate. Tonight, I boiled some water, and put enough (according to directions on the pouch) into the jar, added the powder, and about 1/4 cup of low-fat milk (I like just a little more milk in mine). I shook it and shook it, gently, and poured out what tasted like a liquid peanut butter cup. I didn't have a lot of PB in this jar, so next time I might leave just a little more and not scrape the sides so diligently. Nice treat - and delicious for the winter, especially.

A few weeks ago, I ran into a lot of big sweet potatoes. Again, I found something online that told me I could wash them, and put them into the slow cooker, whole, no added water, and slow cook until tender. When they were done, I halved them and scooped out the pulp into individual serving containers. The other night, I took the first one out of the freezer, defrosted it, and heated it as a side with some poached salmon.

That was the softest, creamiest, tastiest "mashed" sweet potato I've ever eaten. I plan to buy a few more sacks of them while they are in season and put them up into my freezer after I slow cook them. Talk about easy???? I never even got around to adding brown sugar or maple syrup or ginger or anything - might do this with big ol' white baking potatoes and see if they make good white mashies, as well.

No comments: