It was so bad (you must know by now, in this post, that I hate this job) that I truly did not think I'd see the white under the burnt-on, heat-compacted and sealed-to-the-surface gunk, ever again.
This morning, I tried 409 and a few other things I had under the sink. Finally, with not even a dent in the job, I grabbed my old faithful Comet. I grabbed a small recycled-margarine container, and poured a small amount of Comet into it. I added enough water to make a paste. I grabbed one of those sponges that are rough on one side and spongy on the other side. I cut it into fourths and dipped one piece into the Comet goop.
I gently squeezed the goop on the worst of the burners - might as well go BIG, I figured.
After a little gentle rubbing, it began coming off! Rinsing, and dipping, and wiping, with a silly smile on my face and cramps in my thumb and finger, I managed to get all but the oldest layer off that burner.
Well, then the other four looked bad. I tackled them and also around the outside of the burners.
So, in the end, I am happy with myself and the way it looks.
I do still need to attack that bad-burner one more time. After the cramp leaves my fingers. But it's such a thin layer now, and not gunky - just old and heat-sealed to the finish - can't wait until that's off, too.
I think I have a pack of those burner protectors in here somewhere. If not, I'll check the dollar stores later.
So, I was a good girl today. I am happy with me...I just wish being a good girl these days wasn't so hard on the body parts...no matter - it was worth it.