Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Lord and My Appetite



I have done well in adopting better eating habits this past year. My lab tests have my doctor smiling. I feel better. I have a little more energy. My knees don’t scream as badly as they used to. I enjoy walking a bit in our senior mobile home park. 

But every once in a while I do fall off the healthy-food wagon. At my age, food is the only enjoyable vice I have left. Occasionally, I do indulge it.

The good thing is that I don’t get like that too often - maybe once every other week or so. 

Getting back on track isn’t as hard as it used to be. I find myself relying on a little prayer I wrote for that purpose - the one that is in my self-published Busy Person’s Prayer Book. I have posted it here, once or twice, a while back. Here it is...I ask only that if you pass it on, you be sure to include the credit line at the bottom.

To Change Eating Habits
Father, you promised to provide our bread
But we reach for food that’s bad, instead
Please guide my appetite today
Toward food that’s good for me, I pray.
(copyright Evelyn Shamay Mayfield, Busy Person’s Prayer Book)

I know it’s short but that’s why I find myself using it, saying it, praying it as often as I need to. It’s so easy to remember, like all the prayers in that book. These days, I like quick-and-easy.

Thank you, Father, for the words you whispered to me back when I began writing the book. And thank you for reminding me to come to you whenever I need help in taking care of this body that is on loan from you.      

No comments: