Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Small Doses of Self-Pity Never Hurt



During a back-and-forth group of messages with a friend, I realized how I felt about “feeling sorry for myself” the few times I allow it to take over. 

I explained to her that I don’t think anyone should ever feel badly about feeling sorry for themselves, at least for a little while. I believe it takes the pressure and stress off. And, if that person is a female (or a liberated male?) often a little cry helps. 

My sis and I had a little saying, and it's in my self-published Busy Person's Prayer Book:

“Two or three minutes; that's a lot
Then it's time to get off of the pity pot.”

I have so many things go wrong in my life. I allow myself to feel badly, for a little while. Then, because I must depend almost totally upon myself (and the Lord), I take a deep breath, look up, and say, "Ok. I'm ready. Now what's my next step?" 

It is often difficult to move forward but when I look at it as just the "next step" instead of trying to resolve the whole problem all at once, it helps me get to where I need to go. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it does to me.

Sweet Jesus, there’s no way on this earth that I will have to endure the troubles suffered by you, and even by Mary and Joseph. Yet, with God’s help, you all managed. I can do it, too, with your help, your love, your blessing. Thank you for taking on human form - by this act, you experienced much of what we go through. Thank you for being there, and for understanding.

No comments: