Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mutant Ninja Mosquitos?



The night before last, my Silkie saved me from a Monster. Well, Silkie’s my 4-year-old shelter Calico with a medium-hair coat and a long-hair belly, and the Monster was a Monster Mosquito who buzzed me in bed. Silkie was hopping, flipping, jumping in all her queen-size glory, thrilled by the hunt. She got ‘er. Hungry mosquitos are “hers.” The females are the ones who suck your blood. And Silkie won the battle.

Today, I “shared” a post with a graphic of plants which reportedly repel mosquitos. I posted it, and mentally promised myself to get one or two, and very soon.

Then a dear friend fired back a comment: 
Maybe the Mosquitos around here can't smell, but we have lots of these plants in our yard...and Mosquitos.”

Well, that threw a monkey-wrench into the deal. I immediately came back with my own hopefully-clever posts (yep, two of them - I was really clever this morning!) - 
“Oh my goodness, that's all we need, smell-challenged mosquitos (sigh) - maybe the ones in your neck of the woods have somehow genetically evolved? lol”
and
“...or maybe Mutant Ninja Mosquitos??? Some of them are VERY aggressive!”

The thing is that we shouldn’t even have mosquitos yet. While much of the country is literally snow-bound, there are areas in the West and Southwest where we are having warmer, wetter weather than warranted (all that alliteration - can’t stand myself today). And that breeds mosquitos.

And, on the subject of mosquitos, spell check insists I make that “mosquitoes” but I just went online and Merriam-Webster says it can be spelled with or without the “e” - so there, spell check!

Now - back to the dilemma. Exactly how many of those plants are needed to repel the current breed of mosquitos? I guess I’ll need to experiment to find out.
  

No comments: