Saturday, January 3, 2015

My Gratitude Might Be Showing



In spite of a slow start to this new year, I am very much aware of things for which I am grateful.

This home, for example, is a constant source of joy to me. We are having a cold snap here and the desert chill gets right into the bones. So, drafty as this old double-wide mobile is, I love scooting back in here after I’ve been outside these past few days. We almost took a different home and at the last moment, found out it would have been a disaster of unbelievable proportions in many ways. The Lord led us here - he carefully shut every door until this one was the last one open - I’ll never forget how that played out.

I do miss those who came here with me. Jane passed away in ’09, the best friend I ever had. And her son, like my own, did likewise early last year. I have a brother left but he is a whole state away. But I have an amazing assortment of friends and loved ones nearby. Some live here in the senior community, and others I’ve met in various ways. There are also quite a few cyber friends I love dearly.

One kitty is gone but there is another. She is very different but being my first shelter pet, she needs me more than any I have had. In exchange, she allows me to brush her and talk to her and love her.

I’m still financially challenged But last year, when the light at the end of the tunnel seemed non-existent, amazing things happened each time I needed them. Between various agencies and very special friends, I managed to make it through the worst of the times.

Health-wise, I am almost younger inside than I was this time last year. I have lost weight, gently but steadily, due to changes in eating habits. The weight loss helped with my arthritis issues. This past Sunday, I actually walked the equivalent of two blocks without my quad cane. This is something I never expected to happen. This morning, I walked the same distance, with my cane to be safe, but enjoyed the walk for the first time in many years. And one cataract surgery is already over and the sight in that new eye is incredible.

Father, Jesus, and most Holy Spirit, thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul for all the blessings you have bestowed on me. I cannot wait to see what blessings are in store for this coming year.    

No comments: