Monday, January 19, 2015

I Seem to be in a Cooking Mode



Sunday, I tossed some stuff into the crockpot and made a batch of split pea soup. I got 8 containers from it. For myself, I usually put 1-1/2 or 2 cups in each container, depending on how thick, heavy or filling a crockpot meal turns out. I ate some last night, and will have some tonight and will freeze six of them.

This morning, I was getting ready to push the crockpot to the back of the pantry counter. I realized I still had some chicken leg quarters in the upright freezer. A quick mental check told me I had everything in here for some chicken soup. I wasn’t sure the legs would defrost completely overnight, so I tossed them into the crockpot to cook as much as possible during the day. I planned to take the meat off the bones tonight and save the stock. I have two cans of broth in the cupboard, as well.

Tomorrow early, I’ll toss the chicken and the rest into the crockpot. I’ll make a bunch of containers of chicken soup for the freezer. I tend to make an “everything” chicken soup - whatever veggies I have around, I use them. Tomorrow’s pot will, for sure, have some fresh carrots, a can of string beans, and some diced canned potatoes that I somehow ended up with. I know I have a smidgeon of frozen cauliflower and broccoli, so that will go in, too, to use it up. Might have some cooked cabbage chunks from the last stuffed cabbage session. Can’t quite decide just yet between whole grain rotini or brown rice, but one of those will go in, as well. Plus a few herbs and spices - whatever I’ve got that works. I want this to be something that doesn’t require me going out to buy something to finish it off.

I really love having “stuff” to take out of there and know it’s homemade and to my own liking.
I still have, I’m sure, three containers of ground turkey chili and four of a three-bean-kielbasa mix. I don’t think I have any stuffed cabbage left. I’m hoping for some nice sales on the cabbage as we approach St. Patrick’s Day.

I also have some macaroni-and-cheese-and-veggie sides in there. One day, I ended up with some boxed mac-and-cheese, so I made it and tossed in a can each of carrots and string beans. I put aside several 1-cup containers that time. This way, I have a side that has at least a few veggies already in there.

Someone gave me 3 tubes of seamless Crescent dough and I hope to use that up later this week with my toaster oven. My regular oven hasn’t worked in about six or seven years, but this is enough for me right now.
I think I wore my cooking-mania out, though! Will take a break after tomorrow, for a few days.
 

No comments: