Monday, December 29, 2014

What They Did to My First Eye

Today was my final checkup for the first eye for cataract surgery. I no longer need to avoid lifting more than 10 pounds and bending forward.

I did find out that they were surprised at how far gone my eyes were. They said they haven’t seen cataracts so far advanced in a long time and didn’t know how I was even seeing. Interesting - I didn’t realize.

As for the genetic problem that put me at-risk for the surgery, they told me today that the surgeon implanted a special tension ring to hold the lens in place. It could shift out of place in time. If that happens, they would need to sew it into place and this ophthalmologist said it is a complicated, delicate surgery. But it’s a could-happen, might-not-happen thing, so I’m aware but I will not dwell on it. For now, I am thrilled that this part is done and the results favorable.

They did push my next surgery, for the 2nd eye, further out. I was scheduled for 1/14 but now it’s 1/28. This puts me in the middle of the week I’d normally do my monthly mobile home park newsletter. I’ll just make sure I get it proofed a day earlier, and print it a day earlier. It shouldn’t be a problem.

All said, it wasn’t a bad visit, and I’m looking forward to the next one.
  

2 comments:

Sheilah said...

Evie, isn't it wonderful what they can do these days. I know that when my Mom had her catarac surgery she had to go in to the hospital. She wasn't happy at all with the results and would not let them do her second eye. She was still able to knit and to read with a magnifing glass! She was designated as being legally blind. However, the bus line she lived on took her down town and she could transfer to a couple of other line when needed. It also took her across town without transfering and she could geet to the blind center where she got a lot of help and friendship. She had shore ladies who were all very nice. They came to her house and helped with the heavy cleaning and such!

Evelyn Mayfield said...

I can understand your DM avoiding the second surgery. I am so glad that she found friends and folks to help her, and that she could still knit. I consider myself very blessed - if they were as bad as they said, and if I had waited even longer, the results might not have been nearly as good. I can even drive at night, now, and I wasn't able to do that for at least a year.
Hugs, my friend.