Sunday, December 28, 2014

Amazing Thing Happened To Me Today



I haven’t been actively praying about this specifically, so I was amazed that it happened early this morning.

For almost four years, I have been strongly needing, and using, a quad cane, for support when walking. Before that, I was limping severely for a few years prior.

That began sometime in 2008, I think, because I was limping already when my friend Jane was still alive and I was visiting her steadily in hospitals and rehabs in her last 8 weeks on this earth (she passed on in Feb 2009). I was blessed with this cane, free, from a Freecycle member, in March 2011.

When my nephew passed on this year in February (almost 5 years to the day of his mom’s passing - odd that I never noticed that before), my food patterns changed. I miss him terribly but I have benefited from being free to buy and eat whatever I choose now. I eat much more healthy foods. In fact, most of you who read this know that I am now off all meds except for occasional arthritis pain needs. No more blood pressure or cholesterol meds; and I controlled my almost-diabetic condition to where I never once needed a prescription for that.

This resulted in slow but steady weight loss (and great lab results which make my doctor smile) since around the end of March. It took me almost a month to get rid of the unhealthy food in the house. I couldn’t afford to just get rid of it and start new; I had to use it up first. 

After Frank passed on, I began delivering our park newsletter (his old route) to about 50 homes in my section of our senior mobile home park, walking the route once a month, always careful to use my quad cane. During the weight loss, about two months ago, I stopped using the cane for short trips here and there, but was careful to use it for extended walking (places like medical or county buildings).

This morning, I began delivering the route as usual. I got to the 3rd home and realized I had forgotten my cane. I thought about going back but it was chilly this morning and I suspected if I went back, I’d find an excuse to delay it for a day or so. I had my pre-pay cell on me, so I knew if I felt I was “stuck” and needed a lift home I could call one or two folks in here. So I continued.

I managed to get through the whole route, about the equivalent of about two blocks, I think, and had no real trouble. This is a real breakthrough. I wouldn’t push myself to do it again for a while, to that extent. But it was heavenly (truly!) to accomplish that this morning. I am thrilled that the Lord blessed me in this way for the first time in many years, without my even asking.

Sweet Jesus, you always surprise me by knowing what I need and what I can do before I even think about it. Thank you for blessing me with the freedom of walking without the cane this morning. I promise I will not abuse this breakthrough and that I will not push for that distance again right away. I will, however, feel freer now to take longer and longer walks without it. Thank you so much!   

No comments: