Friday, September 26, 2014

Big Thank You’s for Small Favors Today



It’s often amazing to me how small favors received can be such a treat. This morning, I had to run out early because the gas tank was on empty and I prayed my way to the gas station. I had $15 in the bank, so I put $10 in the tank, enough for 1/4 full, and enough for my local needs this weekend and the coming week.

At the grocery, I needed, badly, a bag of dry food for the cat and litter. I used $4 from the bank, another $4 in the cash on hand, and I tossed what change I had into the CoinStar and ended up with almost $6 - just enough, but enough, for kitty needs. I was short 10-cents but I know the cashier and she tossed it in for me until next week when my SS comes in. Still, I had gas in the tank, and kitty food and bathroom needs covered. That is a true blessing.

I spent the morning at our charity crafting session. One team member has a friend in FL who sent us a big carton of baby and other items that she and her friends made. Their intention was to give them locally but somehow those plans fell through. We are blessed with places to distribute them, so our local needy moms, babies, and homeless will benefit. Another blessing.

On the way to the charity crafting session, I stopped to drop off lots of bowls with lids to a friend/neighbor. I am de-cluttering, preparing for our Fall park-wide yard sale in the senior mobile home community. I needed to go through all the bowls and things I’ve accumulated through the years but no longer need. She, on the other hand, needs them badly. That felt good. While I was dropping off, she mentioned she had some plastic bags of powdered milk from the food pantry she visits. I use it solely, now that the food pantry has me used to it. She tossed me several bags - what a treat. I’m set with milk for a good month or more. I even have a bag I can drop off to another neighbor who has to shop via bus and he, too, has switched to dry milk - he is thrilled to get this bag I am dropping off to him this evening.

Life has so many wonderful, sweet and blessed moments, when we look at them that way.

Father, thank you for helping me to keep my eyes open to these blessings. And thank you for them.  

No comments: