Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Craft Tip - Stiffening Small Projects


I absolutely hate how those squishy spray bottles of craft project stiffeners eventually either clog or stop spraying for some other reason. Mostly I need to stiffen crocheted items.

Tonight I was stiffening a batch of small (2"x3") crocheted angel ornaments and I realized that the method I was using was something that I should pass along.

I still buy those bottles of products like Stiffen Stuff, but I apply it differently. I take a bottle cap lid (at least 1/4" or 1/2" high) or a little medicine cup (the kind that comes with cough syrup), and I pour some of the liquid into that. Then I apply it with a paint brush, the kind you get at the dollar stores in a five-pack, near the crayons and pencils and pens.

It goes on easily, it is not messy, and I can get it in the desired areas. I also do not have to cup my hands around the project while I am spraying (the old way of doing it) to keep everything around the project-in-progress from getting sticky.

Of course, you probably already do this, but if you don't, maybe this method will work for you, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great tip and idea~ Thanks~ ♥♥♥