Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cash-Free Thank You Gifts and Tips


Plastic Canvas Satin Ribbon Bookmark from my Etsy store
Way back in the late 90s, I began developing a habit of thanking people who helped me in ways that did not involve cash. I had no cash most of the time but I still wanted to show my gratitude for various kindnesses done to me and for me.

By "tips" in the title here, I do not mean at a restaurant or in a cab, for example. But many times a contractor does an exceptional job for me, or someone helps me in a store, or helps me open my car door if I am locked out, and a tip would be nice.

Cross in my Pocket from my Etsy store
I am a crafter, so it is easy for me to make small but meaningful token gifts that are faith-related. Because I am also Christian, this usually involves something with a cross-motif. For example, I always carry several of my plastic canvas satin ribbon cross bookmarks (often hung on rear view mirrors in cars) and my cross-in-my-pocket items.

However, many folks who I wish to thank are not Christian. Back in the 90s, and even until about 5 years ago, I just handed them a cross-item anyway and mentioned that if they were not Christian, they could feel free to give it to one of their Christian friends, and that those friends would probably be touched by their thoughtfulness.

About 5 years ago, I began carrying a few angel items with me. Many faiths believe in angels, and they love one of these.

I often keep 5 of each item tucked in a special pocket in my purse.

Non-crafters can easily accumulate similar items. The items should not be costly. The idea is a thoughtful but not overwhelming gesture of thanks and gratitude for service or special kindness done. Many places, such as Oriental Trading Co., sell items like this in bulk for very low cost.

One of these days I will work up a Star of David that looks the way I want it to. Those are tricky - they must be just right or they look all wrong.

Father in Heaven, thank you for placing others on our path to help us, and continue, please, to guide us in ways in which we can easily make our gratitude to these people known.

No comments: