Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hold On - Free Charity Crafter Pattern Coming


I am almost finished typing the directions for my upcoming free pattern for a small ripple lapghan in crochet for charity crafters. I'm attaching a photo or two showing how our Friday morning charity crafters use up our leftovers from other projects and work them into small throws for folks in the nursing home we've "adopted."

These are a perfect size to cover the knees and ankles of anyone stuck in a chair, or for wheelchair users. We make them wide enough to cover a lap but not so wide that they get caught in the wheels of the rolling chairs.

In addition, this pattern makes a soft, lightweight cover. Many patients in these homes are frail and a heavy blanket is just too dense and overwhelming for them. This one really suits the purpose.

I do not recommend this pattern for beginners. All too often, they are not yet experienced enough to deal with multiple increases and decreases. I remember well when I made my very first ripple afghan. I ended up with ever-expanding "wings" at either edge. What a nightmare that was. I hated ripping it out back then. I have come a long way, but the ripple is one of my faves.

I hope to post this no later than Saturday. I've been promising this for a while and am finally almost finished.

No comments: