Thursday, July 26, 2012

Crochet Helps Me Cope


I've had a few things on my mind just now and found myself grabbing my hook and a project in progress and crocheting while I worked it out. I do that a lot - crochet for serenity - or should that be sanity? Maybe it's the same thing.

I remember my DM, when my daddy would be off on a binge, sitting up at night while we three kids were in bed. She'd crochet through the wee hours until he came home. She did a lot of that. Now that I have discovered the peace and joy in crocheting, I can relate to her way of dealing with the extreme stress she dealt with in those days.

It is so pleasant to feel the yarn or thread work through, over, and under the fingers. It becomes routine and rhythmic and it frees the mind to often discover answers to problems we face.

Do I sound grateful that I have this outlet? I imagine I do, and it's because that's the way I feel. Crochet brings me peace and joy and helps me cope. I hope you each have something similar in your lives to fiddle with while dealing with life's issues.

No comments: