Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Thoughts and Regrets


Good Friday came and went and I did not manage to spend the few moments I had planned for some quiet spiritual reflection and meditation.

When I was a child, in parochial school, this was a very special day. Many years, my classmates and I would spend the hours between Noon and 3 p.m. in church. It was commonly accepted to treat those hours as the ones Christ spent on the cross.

During my alcoholic years, I managed to at least control myself during those hours.

After I sobered up, the past almost-40 years, I tried to keep an inner peace during those hours. As often as possible, I tried to think about his sacrifice for us.

Today, our charity crafters met as usual between 10 a.m. and Noon. Actually, we broke up and headed home about 11:45 - when I got home, my nephew and I had lunch but I still planned to take at least fifteen minutes and either read some passages in a devotional booklet or think about the day's events so long ago.

Well, obviously I did not get to do that. So, after I write this, I plan to turn my thoughts inward and do it now. Life often gets in the way of our best laid plans. This doesn't mean, I have found, that I should then give up those plans. Often, I simply re-adjust my time-frame and do things a bit later than originally planned. This, to me, is better than not doing it at all.

Lord Jesus, forgive my weakness today when I allowed myself to become sidetracked. After I post this, I will spend some time with you. You gave us all you had, much more than I know can possibly give you. But I hope you will accept my moments with you in the spirit in which they are given - in love and in gratitude.

No comments: