Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chocolate Fast Almost Over


I gave up chocolate for Lent. This is the third year I've done this. Maybe it's the fourth. I've been successful each time. The earlier years, I did allow myself one mini-York patty at night before bed. This year, I didn't even allow myself that.

The earlier years, I was able to keep it up for almost two weeks after Lent ended.

This year, I have my doubts about making it past midnight this coming Saturday. In fact, I have my Easter Sunday plans forming already - polish off the 2 mini-Reese's Peanut Butter Cups I've had hidden from myself for almost 40 days. Have a breakfast, lunch and dinner after-meal mini-York patty. Squirt a couple drops of sugar-free chocolate syrup in my yogurt. Have a scoop of Breyer's French Vanilla ice cream (it's been in my freezer for over a month) with some of the sugar-free chcolate syrup drizzled over it. Pop some Whoppers (in a drawer for over a month) in-between.

That's for Sunday...

Now, for Monday, I'm still working on that.

Seriously, I believe God has a sense of humor and that he is smiling indulgently at my little plans.

Next year, I hope to fast a little more strictly. In addition to the chocolate, I'm going to try to do meatless Fridays. Meatless, in my case, would mean no beef, pork, chicken. That is not hard for me. I love fish. What I ought to do is go meatless all throughout Lent. I'm not sure I can afford that because some fish is a little more expensive than other meats.

I have a neighbor who did a meatless Lent last year, I believe. She became very creative with her meals. She also lost some weight which thrilled her.

Father, I have tried in one minor way to follow the example of your son, Jesus, who fasted those 40 days so long ago. Thank you for the help you've given me in keeping to my promise. Help me to remember that this type of fast does not need to be limited to one season, once a year.

No comments: