Monday, January 23, 2012

Why I Must Pray, Often, Each Day


It has been a few days since I last posted to the Prayer or faith-based area of my blog. This doesn't mean that I have not prayed in the past three days. There are many, many times throughout each and every day when I pray.

I must, you see. I could not get through life and stay sane otherwise.

Prayer stabilizes me. It soothes and comforts me. It helps me to focus and to keep things in perspective.

Sometimes I am in traffic and see a driver make a reckless move and I send up a quick prayer. Usually, it is something like, "Please, Lord, keep him safe and please keep everyone in his path safe, as well." I realize that there must be times that someone, behind their steering wheel, is probably praying about me in the same way. So, I try not to judge and merely to pray for protection all around.

One of my prayers, every night, before bed, is to thank God for everyone who has ever helped us, tried to help us, or wanted to help us, in any way, shape or form, whether I know about it or not. I also ask the Lord to bless these people abundantly.

When I am feeling clumsy, which happens too often now that I am 72, as I retrieve the ice cubes from the floor and try to soothe the cat who bolted out of their way, I pray for peace and serenity in my heart to replace whatever has apparently stressed me out.

Often I hear about someone who is having a hard time in one way or another, and I send up a quick pray for their earthly peace and well-being.

What I love is that the more I pray, quietly, spontaneously, personally, I feel closer and closer to the Lord. Prayer, after all, is nothing more than a personal conversation with God.

Father, thank you for the faith you have blessed me with and for being there to hear my prayers and my chats with you, at any moment. I love that I do not need to worry about whether you are available when I need you. I pray that I will always be willing to make myself available when you need me, in return, to help you with something here on earth.

No comments: