Saturday, January 28, 2012

Praying with Others, One Way or Another

Sometimes I want to tap into the power of praying with others but the moment is not right. I know that Christ told us that he is with us when we pray with others, in the verse
"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”   Matthew 18:20 (NASV)

Still, there are times when I do not want to bare my soul, or my reasons for needing prayer, to even my closest of friends. At those times, I turn to online websites where folks can submit a prayer intention and have others pray for them, anonymously. It is comforting to know that others care even if they do not know who I am and who they are praying for. I, as well, pray for them. Even if it is online, it is still two or more, gathered in his name.

Another way I gather prayers at times is when I am out doing errands. Many, many times I have given a complete stranger one of my plastic canvas and satin ribbon crosses. Sometimes it's because of something I overheard them say, and I sense a need. Other times it is a way of saying Thank You because they did something nice for me, like letting me move in front of them in line when I only have one item.

At those times, when I hand them a cross, I always tell them I'll keep them in my prayers and I ask that they do the same for me as well. Almost always, they love the cross and they thank me and sincerely promise to pray for me in return. I always trust that they will. I never see them again, but for a brief moment, our lives touched, our hearts touched, and in prayer, our souls touched.

Sweet Jesus, thank you for the words you've given us, words of hope, passed on through the Bible. Help us to remember that it only takes one other person to pray with us in order to know that you are there, in person, to help us and to hear our prayers.

No comments: