Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tips for Getting Etsy Shops Noticed

I managed to list my "Funky Fur-Trimmed Fingerless Gloves, White on White" in my shop. Hope to list 5 non-furry pairs before I go to bed tonight.

I just discovered another Etsy shop owner right here in my senior mobile home community. I'll tell you a little about her tomorrow. She just began in August. For now, I wanted to share three tips I've learned over the past few years of running an Etsy shop. Remembering what it was like when I was as new as she is, I realized new shop owners face a steep learning curve.

First, if you are reading this, you have a computer. You probably send emails or post on Facebook or you Tweet. You know, I'm sure, what a Signature line is in a post. Make a short but sweet line with a link to your Etsy shop, and put it at the end of every post or email you send. Some people will look at it for months and then one day, they'll check it out. I've had it happen, with very happy endings.

Second, interact on Etsy. Etsy shop owners are also Etsy buyers. There are zillions of them. Go to Community, Forums, and find a topic that interests you. Any time you post a question or a thought or a thank you, the name of your shop and your avatar is attached. Every reader sees it. I have picked up sales from here, too. In addition, you learn a lot more tips from other Etsy shop owners.

Third, find out if there is a local Etsy team. Go to Community, Teams. At the top of the page, in the Search box, make sure Teams is selected, and type in your city. If you are in a small village, type that in first, then try the next larger town, and then the next. If you live in a city with more than one word, like Las Vegas, try the most common word used for your locale. For example, lots of folks say Vegas instead of Las Vegas, and that is how the Handmade in Vegas team shows up. Eventually, you'll find a team for your locale or for one very nearby. Join. You will learn a lot about opportunities nearby. You will all share tips. They might even have meetings. Most important, you will be able to put the tag for their team in your item tag section and gain one more advantage in searches.

When it comes to getting our shops noticed, the more help we get, the better.

No comments: