Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Replay of God's Distribution Center

I recently realized my stash of handmade items from our Friday morning charity crafters has once again mushroomed and is spilling out of the small area I tuck it into each week. I must sort it into destination piles - homeless, long-term care center, preemies, needy teen moms, and general. I find this the hardest task of what seems to have been delegated to me by the man upstairs. I realize he knows my limits far better than I do, but I do have moments of doubts.

Back in September 2010, I wrote about my first realization that I had somehow become one of his distribution centers - I read that post again today. It really is one of my better posts and you can read it here...

Meanwhile, after you read that, you should understand that the tentacles of my distribution center have multiplied. I now also supply a neighbor, a lady navy veteran, with things for "her vets." People toss me stuff like dozens of decks of cards and poker chips, action/adventure paperbacks, puzzle magazines, and the like. They are perfect for her needy vets.

I am also accumulating VCR tapes and cassette tapes. These usually find a home with a group, Volunteer Angels, who in turn distribute them to homebound folks who really enjoy having something fresh to watch or listen to. At least, it is fresh to their household, even though some of these are oldies.

I must admit I feel a warm fuzzy glow when I manage to get this stuff to where it is going. However, I also admit I absolutely hate sorting, and I absolutely hate tracking it all. I don't seem to have any choice. Whenever I begin to think of calling it quits, or taming it down, or lowering the quantity level, the Lord sends something else my way.

Sometimes I am simply driving through our senior mobile home community and somebody stops me and calls out their space number with a comment such as, "I'm on my way home. Can you stop by and pick up xxx and xxx, and you can find them good homes." I recognize the hand of the Lord and I can't turn him down, but I'm still not sure how I managed to get on his list and I'm still not sure I'm the best one to do this for him. To be sure, I am definitely NOT the most organized.

Father, thank you for trusting me so much. However, if you wish me to keep on "keeping on" with your distribution needs, please be sure to also bless me with a few more doses of organizational strengths and ideas that work in my already cluttered home.

No comments: