Wednesday, October 12, 2011

About Long Prayer Lists

Most times, I finish my emails with the phrase, "hugs and prayers for you and yours," unless, of course, it is strictly a business email. I did that last night but at the moment I wrote it, I began to explain to my friend, the one I was emailing, that this didn't mean I have a detailed list of names that I recite with my prayers each night.

My DS, now gone, used to have me make her a 3x5 card with the names of all those on her own prayer list. And she did read them once a day during her prayers.

I'm not that good. But I'm also relying on some things we know about the Lord. See, I figure if I can do several things at one time, this must tell me something. For example, I can watch TV, crochet, and cradle the phone on my shoulder, holding a conversation, all at once.

If am I made in God's image, and if he is almighty, then he is, for sure, a much better multi-tasker than I could ever hope to be. This said, I toss my names to him, trusting him to catch them and do my remembering for me.

That's another thing. Memory. My memory is better than that of some folks I know. I have other limits, but my memory, so far, holds pretty firm. So, again, if I am made in his image, and if I can remember many of those on my mental prayer list, then God can obviously remember not just a few, but all the names that I send his way.

I have learned to take the stress out of my prayers for others. When I pray for them, especially the first time, I mention all of my concerns regarding their life or their problems. Then I remind the Lord of what I hope will happen for them, but I mention that, of course, not my will, but his, be done. I then add, something to this effect, that I trust him to keep them in mind until the matter is resolved. I mention that I trust that he is working on it as we speak at that moment. And then I leave it up to him.

So, if you ever get an email from me, and it says Hugs and Prayers for You and Yours, you can be sure that I have done the praying and have entrusted you to his all-knowing, all-loving care.

Father, we all know that you are all-powerful and all-merciful, and so I leave my worries about my friends and loved ones in your capable and compassionate care.

No comments: