Wednesday, September 28, 2011

More Thoughts On Thanks at the End of the Day

Three days ago, I posted about "plain and simple thanks for a good day." Last night, I was in bed, doing my usual "thanks for the good things in the past day," and realized how many things were good. I don't think we often really, truly itemize our blessings. They do not need to be huge blessings. We forget the simple things to be happy about.

Last night, for example, I had a long list. I was grateful that, in spite of my indecision on what to eat for dinner, trying to choose something somewhat healthy, I remembered that I had picked up some TV dinners in the morning. They were the cheapest of the healthy-dinners that I could find at that moment, $1 and $2 each. I had looked specifically at the sodium content and chose only those below 30%. It is incredible how much sodium is in those dinners.

Once I had finished thanking him for that, I remembered to thank him for that grocery trip in the morning. I only had $20 for that trip. With two minor coupons I had, and some smart choices, I only paid $19.72. And, I had picked up what I needed to fill in the gaps to cover the next three days, so it was, indeed, something to be grateful for.

I also thanked him for the fortitude and stamina I needed to do a few tasks in the house. These days, my energy level is not too bad, but my bones and other issues slow me down. I am always grateful when I can cross some things off my list at the end of the day.

I thanked him, too, for reminding me to make three phone calls. One was to cheer a friend after her recent triple bypass, another to schedule a pickup of donated yarn - all three were reasonably important to me. I also thanked him for the two bags of already-donated yarn I dropped off to two of our Friday morning charity crafters, and for the gently used cassette tapes I picked up from a neighbor to re-distribute to some homebound folks and to a friend who distributes to veterans.

It went on like that for a few moments. Each item reminded me of something else. I ended with a request for forgiveness for anything God had hoped I would do but which I did not get to. These little good-night sessions with him always warm my heart and put me in a good place so that I can easily go to sleep.

Thank you, my Father, for all the help you give me each day. Forgive me for what I do not do but fill me, the next day, with enough grace and help so that I can look forward to trying again.

No comments: