Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cheerful Charity Crafters

On my way home today, after dropping my nephew at work and making some stops for groceries, gas, etc., I passed the porch of one of our Friday charity crafters. She was out there (it's 64 right now, rain expected tonight), crocheting. I slowed and rolled down the window on her side and she grinned from ear to ear, holding up a half-finished shawl, her latest project, and said she'd see me on Friday.

It made me realize our group is blessed with a very happy collection of crafters. For two years, we only had 5 of us, lost one in her passing on, and gained a replacement a few months later. Two weeks ago, we gained our 6th and 7th. We're trying to keep to less than a dozen, to keep the coziness of the group intact.

Meanwhile, we organized with the intention of crocheting or knitting for the needy for only those two hours every Friday morning. Well, it didn't work out that way. These ladies, myself included, cannot stick to just those two hours. Each Friday, they come in with at least one project they finished during their busy week, plus they work on something else for the needy during our gathering.

Some weeks, one or more of us go into marathon-mode and really churn things out. One of our gals brought in 10 (yep, ten) crocheted hats that she had done in that week for the homeless. I turned in 5 (yep, five) little baby sweaters/jackets that I crocheted for the needy moms in the area. It's always like that. We all just get the biggest kick out of doing this.

We figured out that half of the fun is that we are making things that are really nice and the needy rarely get something "nice" or "hand made."

Yep, we sure are a cheerful group of charity crafters.

No comments: