Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bits and Pieces of Pieces

I don't know a single crafter who doesn't end up with containers and baggies and boxes and whatever, filled with scraps. It can be fabric scraps, yarn and/or thread pieces, plastic canvas bits from projects, and even the spools or whatever that held our materials.

For example, I use 1/8" satin ribbon for my plastic canvas crosses, and they hold 10 yards. I use 5-1/2 ft per cross and end up with anywhere from 3" to 8" of ribbon at the end of the cardboard spool on which the ribbon is wound. I toss these into a plastic container, the kind that holds cottage cheese or deli potato salad. At least with these ribbon pieces, I have found uses. I use them for hanging loops for crocheted angels, or bookmark ribbon, or other ornament trims. However, I keep saving those stupid spools from the ribbon, trying to think of a use for them. One day, I will. Every once in a while, I toss out my current collection and start over.

Another instance is the cardboard tube that holds crochet threads. These are about 4" high and about 3" across. I am toying with some great ideas for those, but so far, I just keep accumulating them.

Scrap yarn is not a problem. I will share what I do with these in another post - one of my more productive ideas.

Plastic canvas bits and pieces are another issue. Our dear family friend, Jane, had cartons of these pieces which she saved diligently through the years. She's been gone two years now, and I did manage to get rid of one carton to a lady whose daughter was just beginning with plastic canvas. They were great for small projects like magnets. earrings or pins, and ornaments, or for trims.

The thing is, we just cannot seem to toss these things. For a while, I had bags of bathroom tissue cardboard tubes and paper towel tubes. I finally tossed them, but I found myself starting over. I used to make crocheted candles from them, and might do so again.

I also began saving things to use as "plarn." This is a new crafting term for plastics that are recycled and used like yarn. Anything can be used - I've seen fashion doll gowns from black VCR or cassette tapes, beautiful handbags from grocery bags, and more. Here are two links for learning about plarn:
http://http://www.myrecycledbags.com/
http://diyfashion.about.com/od/diyfashion101/tp/Plarn.htm

So, unfortunately, there are enough ways for us to use these leftovers and scraps, just enough, to encourage our pack rat instincts to keep saving it all, whether we'll ever use it or not.

No comments: