Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cup Half Full Attitude Adjustment

It has been too long since my last post. Tonight, I thought I'd mention my cup-half-full attitude.

My foot surgery was on Nov. 10. Last week, I felt myself becoming a little disappointed at how slowly the time was passing. I felt very worried about being able to stay upbeat until approximately Jan. 10.

Then I began to remember how often I realize that I am a cup-half-full personality. If you are not familiar with the term, I'll explain briefly. Some people, when a glass is 50% full, will say that the glass is half-empty. Others, like me, will say that it is half-full. Basically, I'm an optimist.

So, realizing how long this healing seemed to be taking, I decided to sit myself down and have a talk with myself. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

At first, at that point, Wednesday, it was 3 weeks from my surgery date. I wasn't even half-way to full healing yet. It meant that I still had 5 weeks to go before I could stand on both feet once again. Five weeks of struggling with everything taking me three times as long as before the surgery, if I wanted this to heal properly.

Okay. Three weeks wasn't exactly halfway, right? Still, it was more than halfway TO halfway! Aha! That's what I needed to hear myself think - I was almost halfway. Now that was really a happy way to look at it. Three-quarters of the way to halfway.

Tonight, I'm even past that point, and this coming Wednesday, I'll be halfway there. When I look at it that way, it is very exciting. I am now allowing myself to look forward to all the things I need to do in this house once I get back on two feet. De-cluttering, here I come!

Dearest Lord, thank you for the grace I needed for this little attitude adjustment. And please, continue to watch over me so that I do nothing to slow this healing.

No comments: