Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Gifts and Choices to Make

I am moving far more slowly this year-end season than in past years. I will not be making tons of gifts this time around. However, I did need to decide on a few things that I knew I needed to make so that I could feel good about the season.

My middle-aged nephew, who lives here with me, loves to give out hand-made gifts to about a dozen friends and coworkers each year. He always pays me for these. In the past, I've made adult bootie-slippers and other things. This year, that is a little difficult because I cannot stroll the yarn aisles, buying enough yarn for each pair. The knee walker makes it a tiring process.

Finally, we decided on my making 5 sets of crocheted holiday-themed towel toppers for the office ladies. That left some coworkers. I have made him business cards on the computer for the past year, now. Just a piece of clip art with a cab on it, and his name and phone number, to hand out to customers who want to call his cab while they are in town. He decided that he'd treat some of the other guys with sets of 50 each.

Both the towel toppers and the business cards are relatively easy for me to do.

Our senior mobile home community has a volunteer-run monthly newsletter, which I write, edit, print, etc. However, with over 435 homes, we need 7 folks to walk the streets each month, putting them at each home. In severe heat, in severe winds, and with their own senior-citizen-related medical issues, I always try to give each one something handmade at year-end, also.

I have plenty of holiday-themed towels left from those I bought last year at the post-holiday sales, and also some which someone donated. I am in fine shape to make those for my circulation folks - even the men like these. Men who live alone must still use their kitchen for small tasks, even if they do not do major cooking.

I ordered some western-themed chocolate lollipops (boots, cactus, and cowboy hats) to add to the mix, from an online Etsy store.

It is very satisfying to be able to make things with our hands. We are all blessed, those of us who can do these things. I hope you have all made your decisions for gift-giving, as well. The decision seems to be the most difficult part of the process - once that is done, the rest moves along very well.

No comments: