Monday, November 1, 2010

Crafts and Young Folks

Lately, my senior worries about the younger generation have been replaced when I've seen some upbeat trends. I pass along some supplies via Freecycle.

Many of the people who have picked up these things have shared with me that they are teaching their children a variety of crafts. They are showing them everything from needlepoint and cross-stitch to crochet, scrapbooking, and beading. And this is just a handful of local mothers. I'm sure there must be many more across the country.

Although I never had any children (couldn't carry past 8 weeks), and although I am terrible at teaching crafts, it does my heart good to know that I am helping, in a small way, by donating supplies to help them along.

This is great news for me. I love hearing that the younger generation is still learning to work with their hands. With all the technology available to them, it's very important to balance it with guidance that will release their artistic and crafting creativity.

No comments: