Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Crocheted Slippers for the Needy

Aside from the single crochet square or lapghan that I want to design, I am going to try to figure out a way to crochet a non-slippy pair of slippers. Oh, I know I can "coat" them, but I want to figure out a way to cut the "skid" factor with just stitchery.

One of the folks who picks up our handcrafted items for the needy would love us to make the slippers in my Etsy shop. Those, however, take a lot of yarn. They are also slippy on waxed care center floors.

My first instinct is to made a ribbed or ridged effect on the sole. I will try that first. I'll try it with a few patterns to determine which type is easiest without a lot of joining, etc. For me, quick and easy is always the most appealing choice.

I am also thinking, for long-term care patients, of trying cotton instead of acrylic. Cotton might be less slippy, and it is also absorbent, much better if someone is diabetic.

Does anyone know a store where I can buy some more hours for my day? That, and some RAM for my brain cells, would be nice.

There are lots of things to think about regarding slippers for the needy and I'd like to do it right.

No comments: