Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Getting Over the Bumps on Life's Road

Today was a wonderful day in its own way. Oh, there were times I doubted it would turn out that way.

Not having a working oven these days, I had originally planned to bake a ham, for tomorrow night's potluck, in our Clubhouse kitchen. However, the roofer-dudes were scheduled to appear at 7:30 a.m. to seal all the nasty cracks in the old roof on this '78 double-wide mobile. So, I took the next option - bake it out on the propane grill. I've done that before. However, today, it refused to light. It's done that, too, before. Not often, but at the most inconvenient times. After three tries (you muse wait at least 15 minutes between each try), I gave up and decided on the next option. Drag out the crock-pot. So, I did the big ol' ham in that - lined the pot with foil, plopped down the ham, added a smidgeon of water, and cooked it. Came out just fine. It's chilling overnight and I'll slice it tomorrow, reheating it over there just before the folks arrive.

So, the ham fiasco worked out, eventually.

Next, the roofer-dudes. They were due at 7:30 am and I deliberately postponed a few errands to be sure I was here when they arrived. At 8:05, I called the boss, who told me they were just picking up some supplies because my roof needed more than they kept on hand. At 8:45 a.m., they arrived, two nice young roofer-dudes. They climbed the roof, looked around, and came back down. They sat on the end of the driveway and opened their cooler and had a bite to eat. I was beginning to worry a lot now. I needed this done before I had to leave at 1 p.m. to pick up Frank at work. Still, I didn't want to agitate them and make them work fast but poorly. At 9:30 a.m., they began in earnest. By 10:45 a.m., they were totally finished sealing all the cracks, plus they had encased some free-floating wires from an old (before we bought the home) swamp cooler.

So, the roof fiasco worked out just fine.

The thing is, so many times in life, I worry and fret along the way. Today, I did manage to pray a bit here and there, not as much as I could have. A little more prayer, just a tad earlier than I managed, might have kept me a bit more serene. Still, with faith, I wasn't a basket case and I got through it all just fine.

Father, thank you for being there when I needed your grace to get over the bumps in life's road; thank you for once again showing me that it all works out, in your time, not in mine.

No comments: