Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Charity Doesn't Begin at Home

Today, I received the best warm fuzzy feeling I've had in a long time. I made a trip (about 10 miles) to the long-term care center that some ladies in our charity crafting group have "adopted." We dropped off stuff just before Christmas, and again about three weeks ago, and then, today.

There are only 5 of us in the group. Still, word has gone around, and others who are not part of the group drop things off to us to donate, also.

Today, while I waited for the Activities Director to respond to the page, I worried that perhaps I was making a pest of myself. After all, I had only just dropped off some paperback books (about 4 dozen), some VCR tapes (about 2 dozen), some decks of cards (a dozen), and other minor things that were not hand crafted, but donated for this home.

It turned out that I didn't have to worry. When the Director saw who was at the desk waiting, her eyes lit up, her smile grew wide, and she asked, hopefully, "Are you dropping off hand-mades? Do I need a cart?" She was thrilled when I said "Yes."

As I unloaded outside, onto the cart, I showed her the 2 lg handmade afghans, about 6 lap covers, about a dozen shoulder-wraps (shawls, etc.), and the 18 little Easter baskets one of our ladies carefully crocheted and lovingly filled with marshmallow bunnies and jelly beans. I added to that with a dozen snack-size baggies of sugar-free treats for those with diabetes.

She told me that the residents were almost fighting over who was going to get the things each time they arrived. The staff worked out a "lottery" to make sure the residents knew there was no favoritism when they were given out.

You have no idea how good all of this made me feel. I cannot wait to share it with our group on Friday morning.

Mostly, we use scrap yarn, love, and spare time. Not that any of us 5 have any spare time. Even though the youngest is in her mid-60s, and I think I am the eldest at 70, we are all active in our own way.

I tried so hard to take some photos. Maybe next time. She and I laughed when I said we'd try to cover all of them, but with only 5 of us and 150 of them, it would take a while. The main thing is that we are making a small difference and brightening the days, just a little, in the eyes of folks who have precious little to look forward to.

It took us almost a year to find the right "home." I called several places and finally one woman, when I told her I wanted a place with the majority long-term care, rather than transitory rehab, finally referred me to this home. We have been at this since April 3 last year. We only just found this place in early December. We still cannot believe we have made all the things we made within this past year, with just snippets of time.

We are still fiddling with finding a local place for our preemie shirts, caps, and booties, but we know God is carefully picking out the right place for them to go.

Father in heaven, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for leading us to the place which needed us most, and thank you for trusting us to supply some of what your children need.

1 comment:

Peach Rainbow said...

I'm so happy to read this and very proud of you. I can imagine the happiness you get by doing these things.
May God guide you on the right path and May God reward you for all these things in this world and the hereafter !