Sunday, December 6, 2009

The day after my trip to see my sister...

I'll try to get to all your individual emails and comments over the next day or so. Right now, I am very tired and need to stop and really rest.

Half of me is glad I went; the other half wonders if I accomplished anything. I got there Saturday around 10:30am. They told me that the day before, she opened her eyes when spoken to, and gave one word replies. Saturday, the entire time I was there, 10:30am to 6:30pm, there was absolutely no response and her eyes were closed.

I tried speaking to her often the first three hours, then I slowed down. However, the entire 8 hrs, I did hold her hand the whole time. I don't think she even knew I was there, but I hope on a deeper level, she was aware. She has a fever and is very weak. It tore me part to see her like that.

Bottom line: I called today and there is no change; she is still unresponsive. She also pulled out her own NG tube overnight. I did give them permission to try to re-insert it just once, but only once. The nurse said my sister screams when they do that. I told her that I might scream, too, if somebody was shoving a tube down my nose into my stomach. Under normal conditions, when a patient is alert and can help by swallowing the tube during the insertion, it is somewhat easier than it is with a non-responsive person like my sister.

This being Sunday, it is difficult to get the proper authorizations needed for any status change, but they will all be conferring tomorrow about keeping the NG tube out, and letting nature take its course. If the Lord wants her back, it will happen. If not, it will be easy and fairly swift. In the meantime, at 9am sharp tomorrow morning, I will call both the nursing home and her doctor of record and re-affirm our wishes.

Your continued prayers are always appreciated.

1 comment:

Midday Escapades said...

Evie - just wanted to let you know that I am following and keeping you and your sister in my thoughts. I admire your strength.